Wednesday, January 7, 2009

This is why I don't stay at hostels

(I'm seriously not exaggerating any of what follows)

2 white people from Kansas: How do you say your name again?

Me: TYLEA

2 white people from Kansas: Tailedah?

Me: No. TYLEA. TY-LEE-UH. TYLEA.

2 white people from Kansas: Ohh Tulekah.

Me: TIE as in your shoes. LEE as in the jeans. AH as in...ah.

2 white people from Kansas: Ohhh Tylea! Hm.....what is your ethnicity, Tulelah?

Me: Half black, half white. Nothing too interesting.

2 white people from Kansas: Really?!?! I would have thought one quarter black, probably even one eighth. I never would have guessed you were half!!!

2 white people from Kansas talk amongst themselves: Isn't Lauren one eighth black. No, no, she's half too but doesn't look black at all either. Well, at least she has a little darker tone. Yea but you really can't tell...

Me: Why, that is funny! White people can never tell I'm black, so I'm not surprised but for future reference---

2 white people from Kansas: Well would you look at the time! We've haven't eaten dinner yet. We're gonna take off. See you around!

And then they left.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

darling people ask ME all the time "which one of your parent's is white?" I say "the 3rd one".

January 23, 2009 at 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home