Monday, September 8, 2008

Fat Joe calls Daddy Yankee a Sellout

Where are the directors of BEEF?!?!

I am not a newcomer to hip hop. I've been a fan for as long as I can remember liking music. Now that I think about it, I have distinct memories of singing "Push It" by salt n pepa at an alarmingly inappropriate age. Anyway, I am not surprised to hear Fat Joe call Daddy Yankee a sellout for endorsing John McCain. The insult brings up really interesting questions of culture and class in the US, ever-present themes in hip hop lyrics despite many critics' assertions otherwise. I won't get into defending that thesis here. The point is, as a devoted but sometimes beleaguered hip hop fan, I was amused to see one of rap's regulars address Yankee's endorsment. I read the first couple paragraphs of the MTV article and I gave the bronx rapper a solid head nod. But what was even more intriguing was the quote buried midway through the article:

"How could you want John McCain in office when George Bush and the Republicans already have half a million people losing their homes in foreclosure? We're fighting an unjust war. It's the Latinos and black kids up in the frontlines, fighting that war. ... We over here trying to take the troops out of Iraq and bring peace. This guy immediately wants war. If not with Iraq or Afghanistan, he'll start a new one with Iran. I feel real disgusted that Daddy Yankee would do that. Either he did that for a look, or he's just not educated on politics."

I hate to say this, but I was really surprised at his eloquence and political knowledge. No offense, Joseph, but foreclosures? Iran? That's what I'm talking about...! Apparently Joe was at the Democratic National Convention and loves him some Bill and Hillary. This almost makes up for the painful collabos with Ja Rule.

'Joe said he's more than willing to educate Yankee on each of the politicians' platforms. "If he believes John McCain is the better candidate for the Latinos," Joe said, "we could sit down. Even if he wants to get into a debate, we can debate anywhere — New York, Puerto Rico." '

This invitation leads me back to my initial question: Where are the directors of the infamous series BEEF, where rappers battle it out over whatever obscure disagreement they might have (ie, Who is the best skateboarding rapper? Who really got their feelings hurt when Rockafella broke up? Which rapper's name sounds more like a native american baby snuggly? etc etc). I'm trying to see the first ever rap-infused, reggaeton-inspired, political debate slash battle rap. Democrat vs Republican. Mainlaind vs Colony. NYC vs San Juan. Lean Back vs Gasolina. Fat vs Skinny. Guys, I've got the whole opening montage already figured out for you. Put in a call to hot 97 and lets get this thing going!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home