Friday, December 10, 2010

Am I making this up?



While I don't care for his bravado, I like Kanye's outbursts, his inappropriateness, the unflinching commitment to self (and secret self loathing). I am also thankful for the 808's album, which helped me through a messy time when an "It's Complicated" got even moreso (they say autotune is the whale song of a broken heart).

So although I wouldn't consider myself a Kanye hater, somewhere during the "Late Registration" years my interest began to wane. I'm actually certain I was in the middle of a ferocious air trumpet solo during "Touch the Sky" when it dawned on me that Kanye had no role in the greatness of that song. That is, no role beyond dusting off a Curtis Mayfield record and arranging it around a handsome bass beat.

We could debate the skill level needed to unearth and revive old records, for making old shit new and cool, the alchemy of modern sampling. We could, but we won't. Instead, take a listen to Kanye's new song "Runaway" (2010). Then (even at the risk of outing myself as an indie rock fan) take a listen to "Runaway" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (2009). Listen again, this time imagining a hip hop beat behind the latter track. Repeat. Post comment.


,

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home