Monday, February 9, 2009

Baddest Bitches Series: M.I.A.



I know I've told you this a million times, but I'm gonna say it again. I had M.I.A.'s first CD years and years ago. Back then, everyone would get in my car and say her music made their ears hurt (ehhh hemmm ex-boyfriend). I would reply, just wait - this is some NEXT shit!, despite the nay-sayers arguments otherwise. The fact that I worshiped her then as well as now relieves me from any condemnations of hipsterdem, so don't even try it.

Anyway, M.I.A. is dope. Who else wears a polka-dot maternity bikini dress while performing ON HER DUE DATE? I love you, I love you, I love you.



And while we're on the subject of my favorite grrrl singers who have inspired recent jay-z songs, I would also like to point your attention to Santogold. Yes, her songs have been featured in car commercials, 90210, and Gossip Girl. In fact, I have a half-written blog post on this topic from months ago. But no matter. She is also dope and no amount of commercialization can erase this. And again, since I liked her before all of those selloutish moves, I am exempt from your accusations.

Now, if we can only get an M.I.A. + Santogold + Frenchie collabo, we will really be making music history! Yeehaaaw.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

not sure if i'm the ex-boyfriend you're referring to (you made it sound like sooo many years ago), but most of her tracks still hurt my ears.

i guess if you're always aheada the crowd and uninfluenced by popularity, i'm just a curmudgeon uninfluenced by popularity.

the video was cute though. she kinda looked like a ladybug.

February 10, 2009 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Saboteur said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 13, 2009 at 6:32 AM  
Blogger Saboteur said...

dear anonymous curmudgeon,

i can admit that her first cd, although great, was a little grating. the second cd was even better though, with much less shrieking and more gun claps. did you hear the last track produced by your boy timbo?

the lady bug thing was super cool. nonetheless i've been trying to suppress dull throbs of disappointment since i posted this (i'm tired of being hurt by the rappers i love). rolling stone labeled her "revolutionary chic" when she first dropped cuz of her pretty explicit support for the tamil tigers. although doing a damn good job of being fly, but where's the liberation? ...the mirage of RBC (revolutionary but chic) once again slips from my grasp....

-me

(PS - it is a good thing that you shielded your identity on my blog. i am certain that my friends and family are clueless as to which of my miserly yet grammatically savvy ex-boyfriends this could possibly be.)

February 13, 2009 at 6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"miserly"? is that an anti-semitic slur?!!?

now i'm sure friends and fam know which ex...

February 13, 2009 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger Saboteur said...

right....it surely wasn't your crotchety attitude that tipped them off.

February 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home